Apple and almond tartlets
Recipe from: Brabantsche Wal
Number of servings 5-6
Number of calories -
Preparation time - min.
Cooking time 40 - 60 min.
- First, make the crème patisserie. Put 100 ml of the milk plus the seeds scraped out of the vanilla pod in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Mix the granulated sugar with the corn flour, the egg yolk and the rest of the milk.
- Add half the boiling milk and stir until smooth.
- Pour the milk and sugar mix into the rest of the milk in the saucepan and bring back to the boil stirring constantly.
- Simmer for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Spoon into a bowl and leave to cool. Tip: cover the surface of the crème patisserie with cling film to prevent a skin forming as it cools.
- Second, make the pastry. Mix the butter with the caster sugar, egg and a pinch of salt.
- Add the plain flour and baking powder and knead to a supple dough.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and rest in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Mix the apple cubes and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Roll out the dough into a thin sheet.
- Cut out circles of dough large enough to cover the bottom and sides of the tartlet cases.
- Grease the tartlet cases with butter.
- Line the tartlet cases with the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Third, fill and bake the tartlets. Stir the crème patisserie and marzipan together into a smooth paste and divide it between the tartlet cases. Spread it evenly.
- Cover the crème patisserie/marzipan with a layer of the apple and cinnamon mixture.
- Put the filled tartlet cases on a baking tray and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the tartlets cool before sprinkling with icing sugar.